Friday, May 27, 2011

Doux Forêt

Doux Forêt was hand painted on a 24"x24" canvas. Large canvas intimidates me, I'm not used to it and it scares me, so this painting was at first a daunting task... but then I just started painting and tried to forget about all of that blank freaky canvas and soon the tables were turned... really! By the time I was finished with Doux Forêt I was wishing I had more canvas of this size. Silly huh? I'm starting to paint more and more with a palette knife and kind of wishing I could paint all the time with it, though it takes up so much paint... I am trying to work on a way to make that not an issue.

So as I painted I listened to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I was critical at first not knowing what to expect from a book of that title and being that I despise reading book reviews that reveal the subject of the book because it most often causes me to assume that I won't be interested (if it doesn't have zombies) I had no idea what I was about to hear. But... BUT! O.k. listen without doing to you what I hate which is revealing what the book is about rather then just confirming on whether or not the writing is legit, I am just going to say that Dave Eggers does that style of writing where he has a stream of consciousness and just lets it go and writes it out, but the whole book is not written in this way but when it was I wanted to stop painting and get a typewriter or something, his work is so inspiring it makes me want to write again. And not only that but I do believe that yes, the book is entitled quite fittingly because a heartbreaking work of staggering genius is exactly what it is, maybe it does sound a bit melodramatic but read or listen to it yourself and you will probably agree... I'm pretty sure it's a masterpiece!

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the intimidation of facing a blank canvas...I always tone mine with a wash of paint mixed from previous painting sessions because I dislike white canvas so much.

    This looks like it was a joy to paint, and I like the juicy textures and layering effect you got from the palette knife. It vibrates with color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonya, Thank you so much for taking time to comment! That's a good idea to tone the canvas, I should do that!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you as part of our Art Blogs by Etsy Artists Team.

    I cannot start painting with a blank canvas.

    I always deface it somehow, normally with a neutral tone with a rather random design left by the towel rubbing across the canvas.

    Also, I cannot listen to audiobooks when doing art; it brings my mind into logical language mode, analyzing symbols, judging diction, noticing fallacious logic:

    listening to audiobooks distracts me from doing the art.

    However, I am a fan of listening to music, as I often feel the music and the rhythm while I draw and paint.

    It is as though I feel the music, and it makes my lines and brush strokes more musical, more calligraphic.

    Oddly enough, I get the same effect when writing.

    Aaron Fung

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a small little world we live in. I bought your (now my) elephant ACEO yesterday, and returned to your facebook page to thank you for letting me know you shipped it today. I then bounced over here to check out your blog since you mentioned your recent post on fb, and saw this Doux Foret post which mentions Dave Egger's book - which I am currently reading! I'm on page 253 (out of 375) and I love it. I live in the S.F. Bay Area and have been to so many of the places he's writing about which makes it even more fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - and I love your work! I should have mentioned that first, ha!

    ReplyDelete